Lamp shades make an interesting surface for painting. When the lamp is lit, the design becomes even more beautiful than ever. It's not as hard as you think. Learn how you can make your own glass lamp shades the topic of discussion the next time you have guests over. Acrylic glass paints work best for this type of project.
- Step 1Wet the paper towel with a good amount of white vinegar. Wipe the glass lamp shade well. Try not to touch the surface you plan to paint with your fingers or hands. Hold the glass lamp shade with a paper towel as you wipe it with the vinegar-soaked towel. Set it aside to dry.
- Step 2Shake the paint bottles well to mix each color inside. Pour each color onto the palette into a small nickel-sized puddle. Make sure the colors don't run together.
- Step 3Tear or cut the design pattern to fit inside the glass lamp shade. You should be able to see the design through the glass. Tape it in place while making sure it lays as flat as possible against the inside of the glass surface.
- Step 4Pick up the foundation color of paint with a dry brush (no water is used when painting on glass). Apply the color in an even application so there are no ridges in the paint. Let the paint dry completely before applying the next color or layer over the first one.
- Step 5Continue to paint the design, allowing each layer of color to dry thoroughly before continuing. When the design is finished, remove the pattern from the inside of the lamp shade and allow the paint to cure for at least 24 to 48 hours prior to use. Clean the brushes with soap and water when you are finished using them.